It’s 2014… How did this happen?

No seriously how?

Remember as a kid you thought by this time you’d be in hovercrafts?  You thought you’d be communicating telepathically?  Well, I’m glad we’re not!  I swear many of us need to keep it simple – get back to basics for healthier bodies & minds, don’t you?

So, it’s the new year…resolutions flying around left & right.  I prefer not to use the word resolutions because it always seems to be setup with failure.  If I put too much pressure on myself I throw in the towel too soon.  A bit of failure will have me going in the opposite direction.

Some of the things I’m looking forward to a fresh start on is the ever popular – weight loss.  Did you know I currently weigh more now than I have since I started this “journey”?  I weigh more than I ever had (except with being pregnant).  Eh, if I think about it too much I get upset, discouraged & again…my mind and body go in the opposite direction.

Some other things I’m interested in is getting control…(HA!), ok, trying to get control of my life.  Since having Natie – who is now 4!, I can’t seem to get control of anything anymore.  I hear this is normal, but I’m just now at 4 years finding myself again.  Allowing myself to say “Rich, YOU’RE putting Natie to bed tonight by yourself!” so I can go for a walk.  GOD to I LOVE my nighttime walks!  It’s so wonderful for my mind, my emotions, my soul…in turn – for everyone else around me too!  I’m a much better Mom having that “me” time – even if it is a nighttime walk just 3 days a week!

Other fun things I’m playing around with is making my own products.  For YEARS I saw recipes for making your own hair gel & thought “That’s insane!  Who has time for that?”  Well, guess what – this chick does!  AND the savings!  OMG!  I’m hoping to do more posts on the “adventures” in product making too…money saving tips!

Check out my curls using just two simple ingredients: (and this is 2nd day hair y’all!)

1472847_10202383066679510_607908473_n

So my main focuses are:

1. Being healthier – mind, body & soul

2. Getting in control of my life & myself.

3. Save money & make safer products for my family.

Should be fun!  I hope you’ll join me this year in making 2014 the start of something special!

Do you have any plans for a happier & healthier you?  Please share them!

About these ads

About Lori

I'm a 38 year old Mom to a wonderful little boy - who lights up my life. I'm happily married to boot! Currently working on getting my health, which includes my weight in order. I'm hoping this blog will be a tool in my journey.

17 Responses to It’s 2014… How did this happen?

1. Those curls are amazing! I’m happy to be on this journey with you! Definitely feel the same…get in control of everything but baby steps at a time.

2. Sarah says:

It is so good to see you back writing!

3. biz319 says:

Hello!! Nice to see you back! When I first met Tony, I made my own laundry detergent with Fels Naptha, and other stuff – it looked like goop, but it only cost like $5 to make a giant container that lasted me for months!

When he first saw it, he was like “what the hell is that?!” He swiftly went out and bought “real” detergent. But since I do the laundry, I simply put my “goop” in the “real” container and hasn’t noticed all these years.

Here’s to both of us having a healthy 2014!

• Lori says:

YES Biz! That’s one of the things I just started making! The powdered version, which I’ve never used before, but I LOVE it! Kicking myself for not doing this sooner too! LOL – Loved that you pulled one over on Tony. :p

4. Piper's Run says:

Here’s to a healthy and happy 2014! What a beautiful family photo!
    PS – I always wanted curls :)

5. azad says:

What awesome goals to have! I am glad you are finding that “me” time again…it is so important and something you should never let go of. You got this!!

• Lori says:

Totally needed. I’m certainly a better Mom…and “me” with this time. Today’s me time…late night BJ’s shopping trip. aaahhhhh….

6. I love it! I can’t wait to hear more about these products that you are making!!! Excellent goals and very well said as always!!! The word “Resolution” just always has a negative result. That mommy time/me time is super important!! I get mine when I travel for work! That alone time to sing, enjoy the fresh air, etc… It really refreshes my mind, body and spirit!! I do what I want with my time when I’m away. Whether it be work out at the hotel, go to dinner out alone, or just put my feet up with a coffee/tea to relax. It’s very therapeutic!! It’s about time you claimed yourself back. I know exactly how you feel!!!

• Lori says:

Seriously – best time. I would never trade the time away with Natie, but boy…that alone time I feel like I have a moment of “me”. It’s amazing.

7. I love New Year’s….a new start, refresh, new focus—it’s great! You can do this and your night walks sound like a perfect time for YOU time :) Just be careful out there, got reflective stripes on stuff and a phone handy? No music too! And I have to hear about that hair gel you made. Your hair looks great and my curls would love to know how to not spend $50 on a liter of gel every 6ish months.

• Lori says:

Yes! I actually went out & bought a reflective vest to be safe. Plus, years ago my Dad got me a panic alarm/led flasher for night jogging being I used to walk at night all the time. I finally took it out of the box to use it. Felt like he was with me on the walk! <3 Yes! No music! I love listening to the peace & quiet actually… brain cleanse. :p
      Hair gel post coming up! :D

• Awesome! While I love some good music when I use the treadmill, if I’m out in the neighborhoods I don’t like that I can’t hear traffic (if there is any) or creepos (yikes) but the sights and sounds of nature are my favorite.

8. Pingback: Mama’s Day Out! | Fit n' Healthy Mama